Tuesday, February 12, 2013

VanGough Tissue Paper Project



This project was based off of Van Gough's Starry Night.  Van Gough used many elements of design in his work including movement, color, line.  For this assignment, we instructed to cut out designs of tissue paper and create a collage in any way we liked, but somewhat similar to what Van Gough used in his painting.  Next, we were to add lines and movement to out tissue paper with the use of Sharpie markers and oil pastels.  Next we were to cut out some type of landscape to glue over the top of our collage to add detail.  In my collage, I had a cut out of the ocean with the beach and a palm tree.  I am no artist myself, but I enjoyed this project in there was no right or wrong way to make the collage.  That is my type of artwork!!

For an extension activity in the classroom, I would have students do much of the same as above.  I would have them use Sharpie markers and oil pastels, however, they could also use crayons, markers, colored pencils, ect.  As for the background collage with the tissue paper, I would let the students use tissue paper, along with other things they could find that would be relevant to show line and movement.  For example, pipe cleaners would be a good tool in that the students could bend them and show movement.

Chapter 20-22: Before reading the chapters, I was highly unsure how a teacher could implement art history into their classroom.  After reading the chapters however, I found that there are many great ways to implement art history into the classroom.  One great way I found is when the students are studying a specific time period perhaps in social studies.  If the students are learning about ancient Egypt, or the Incas, the students could make their own drawing of how they think that time period would have been like.  I think social studies is an area that would benefit from art history because there is so much history in social studies itself, that it is almost crucial for the students to learn about the art history of that time frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment